Friday, April 11, 2008

InnoTek Share From Linux Host to Linux Guest

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and have created an InnoTek Guest virtual machine with Ubuntu 6.10, this due to project constraints. And so I needed a way to share between both my machines in an easy and practical way, thus I followed the instructions I found at:


How do I automatically mount my shared folder


The short story is:


1) Create a virtual machine with Shared Folders


2) Install the InnoTek Guest Additions on the given guest machine

3) Check what is the "name" of the shared folder, in my case it was "share"


4) Start your virtual machine and login


5) From a terminal console, edit the /etc/modules file and add at the end of the file: vboxvfs, vboxadd



# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
vboxvfs
vboxadd





6) Also modify the /etc/fstab file to mount the share



# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/ /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
share /home/fbenavides/Share vboxsf defaults 0 0

Now, reboot and the share is working properly; otherwise, follow the previous link for more hints as to solve this issue.


No comments: